Here are the things you need to know about what to expect from your library experience.
Hours of Operation for August
- Mondays – Thursdays
- In person browsing and curbside pick up 10am – 8pm
- In person browsing and curbside pick up 10am – 5pm
- In person browsing and curbside pick up 10am – 2pm
- In person browsing and curbside pick up 1pm – 5pm
Requirements for All Visitors
- All patrons ages 2 and up, must be wearing a face covering when entering and visiting inside the library. Face coverings that completely cover the mouth and nose are required and mandatory as per recommended CDC guidelines. Masks, bandannas or scarves are acceptable. Hands, shirts, or other clothing are not acceptable face coverings.
- The maximum occupancy in the Children’s Room is 25; the maximum occupancy of the Young Adult Room is 10. This will be strictly enforced by Library staff.
- Anyone who has a fever, cough, chills or is otherwise not feeling well or who are self quarantining should not visit the library.
- Please observe the social distance of six feet between you and the staff and you and your fellow patrons.
- As of May 10, BCCLS and the Library are no longer quarantining materials. All returned items must be placed in the book drops on Clinton Avenue. You can check your account here.
- Elementary school age children (Grades K-5) must be accompanied by an adult. Middle school age children (Grades 6-8) should not be left unattended for extended periods of time, but are allowed to be in the building without an adult if they are using the library in an appropriate manner and are abiding by the code of conduct. Our unattended child policy can be found here.
Available In Person Services
- Browsing and pick up holds/requested materials
- Library card registration
- Book sale
- Wireless printing (via your smart device or laptop)
- Notary public
- Passport Applications by appointment only
- In person ESL tutoring sessions
- Reference assistance
- Library of Things – Kindles, Roku sticks, STEAM Kits
- Museum Passes
- Public Adult PCs (Please note: sessions will be limited to 120 minutes with one (1) 30 min extension)
- Quiet Study Rooms (Please note: first come first served, limited to 30 minutes per day)
- Use of public meeting rooms for community groups
In Person Services That are Temporarily Unavailable
- One on one in person technology instruction
During Your Visit
- When possible, browse for materials with your eyes and not with your hands.
- The building will be cleaned and sanitized before opening each day. At any point throughout the day, patrons may be instructed to vacate the building or a particular area so that library staff can clean and disinfect.
- Outside furniture may not be brought into the library.
- We encourage you to continue attending our fantastic virtual programs, using our e-materials and our online databases.
- There will be less public computers available due to spacing requirements. You can make a computer reservation while on-site. Only one guest pass per person, per day will be provided.
- Assistance from staff will be provided at a safe distance.
- As museums reopen, we will activate our passes for check-out.
- If there is a line to check-out materials, we ask that you opt to use our new mobile check-out service. Click here to learn about meeScan.
Library Phone and Chat Assistance
Have a question? Need help? The Library is offering phone and chat reference service on Mondays–Thursdays from 10am–8pm and Fridays 10am-5pm. Outside of these hours, you can submit a message online.
Please return all items at the book drops on Clinton Avenue.
The Friends of the Library are not accepting donations at this time.
Questions and Answers
Can I get items from other libraries?
As per a recent BCCLS announcement, you may now make requests through the online catalogue that can be picked up only at the Bergenfield Library. You can choose to pick up your request in person during library hours or via curbside pick-up by calling 201 – 387 – 4040 x0 and scheduling a pick-up date.
Is there a maximum for how many items I can request via curbside pickup?
We are asking that patrons request no more than 10 items per day to help us to manage high volumes of requests.
Can outside groups meet in the library?
Yes – please call the library at 201 – 387 – 4040 for available scheduling.
Can I sit on benches outside the building?
Yes – benches outside the building are free to use. However, it is important to note that the library is NOT managing the benches and outdoor seating for safety purposes. Therefore, using outdoor seating at current is at your own risk.
Do I need to wear a mask when picking up or dropping off items?
Yes – all patrons MUST wear a mask when picking up or dropping off items as those spaces are just inside the building.
Details on hours of operation and technology use will be forthcoming. New Jersey remains under a public health emergency and the Library is taking a cautious path to resume services. Governor Murphy’s “The Road Back” plan gives all New Jersey public libraries the ability to phase in services according to local needs, staff capacity, and the community’s situation. The Library’s decisions will continue to be informed by the Governor’s executive orders, recommendations and orders from the state and county health departments, guidelines from the CDC, and cooperative planning efforts with local organizations and public libraries.
For the limited staff in the buildings, the Library will follow guidance about the number of people per square foot, social distancing, and sanitation practices Please see our COVID-19 Policy.